Monday, January 26, 2015

Storm Preppin'

If you have not heard, the Northeast is in for a big one this week - snow that is!  No more talk about Tom's balls....we are on to the big news of 2+ feet of snow!  You know what the means right??  Prepping, cooking and baking now to get ready for the hours of snow fun ahead.  The Prepper in me is only slightly concerned that we may lose power during this storm.  Our next door neighbors have a wonderful fireplace, so we maybe camping at their house if things get bad.  Until then, I'm going to bake a few gluten free breads to be sure we all survive along with a few other goodies I will share.

My favorite new discovery is Pamela's Bread Mix which has a great recipe on the back of the package for a homemade gluten free breadmaker bread.  I've seen the Mix available before, but not until recently did I decide to give it a go.  I want to know what is in every single thing I eat.  Sounds excessive, but realistically, we should all know exactly what is in our food.  The more I can make and bake at home the more I will know.   But let's also be realistic, working full time, raising 3 children and being a wife is time consuming in and of itself these days, so finding short cuts where possible works as long as quality is not compromised.....(although, it would be fun to make homemade pizza again.)

On the Facebook page, I've linked this post with a picture of the bread after it comes out.  I tried making the bread as it calls for on the package several times now and have discovered it works well if your breadmaker has a 'rapid' or 1 rise setting.  Gluten free bread does not need the 2nd rise and the time I did try it on the regular bread setting it did not rise enough the 2nd time.  Prepping, following and baking the recipe all took less than 1.5 hours and 1.25 of those hours the breadmaker was doing the work - perfect! 

Here's the recipe from Pamela's - slightly modified for my breadmaker and preferred taste:
INGREDIENTS:
Directions:
In a Bread Machine
Setting suggestion - Rapid Bread, 2 lb loaf, Dark Crust.
 
In a 2 cup liquid measuring cup, heat 2 cups of water in the microwave until warm, not boiling (2 mins on my microwave).  Add 1/3 cup oil, add 2 eggs and pour all liquids into bread maker.  Then add bread mix and yeast last. Start machine and scrape down sides and corners of pan after dough has been mixed for about 6 minutes.
After baking, remove from pan and let cool before removing paddle and slicing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment