Sunday, June 9, 2013

Almost....

My journey into gluten-free, simple cooking and understanding homesteading began last summer.  Since July, I've been eating gluten free.  At first it was a sympathetic gesture for my dearest BFF who was diagnosed with celiac disease.  Then, I realized that I naturally liked most gluten-free food....and then I ate gluten and was I sick!  So, I'm a self-diagnosed gluten intolerant/allergic mom who is trying to navigate through these murky waters to find the healthiest, most natural foods for my family.  However, unlike most homesteaders, I work full time, my kids go to montessori and public school and I'm not going to convince my husband in this lifetime that we need a small flock of chickens on our "homestead".

Where does one go from here?  I've always had a love for yoga, home-made jam and hand-me-downs.  But does that make me homesteader?  Almost. I didn't even know there was a term for all the things I love, the way I like to cook, exchange clothes and make new ones from old, and have mini-lessons with my kids in the evening.  Now that I do, I feel like a kid again, obsessively reading all things Laura Ingallas related.  I've taken out every imagineable book about homesteading from the library.  I've looked into signing up for free classes about gardening and bee-keeping (my husband will go for that)

Join me on my journey as I try to nagivate through frugal purchases, energy saving cooking, learning to sew new things, give the kids mini-life lessons in the evening, and sharing this love for being in the moment with my children.  I'm not sure how this journey will turn out, but I will be honest in my findings all the while living a simpler, calmer, more wholesome life.

E

No comments:

Post a Comment