Sunday, June 9, 2013

Farm Fresh

We belong to a very special CSA farm in our town.  Being one of the first towns outside of Boston, I find it comforting that a working farm, with tractors and bee-keeping exists within ear shot.  If I had known of the farm while living in Boston, we would have made weekly treks for our farm share.  Now, we share the share with our neighbors as the abundance of Swiss Chard would put any progressive family over the edge. 

Most Saturday nights are family night in our house.  I make a large dinner and we all join together to share our day and past week and remember how blessed we are to have each other.  While preparing last night's meal, I momentarily struggled with what vegetable to serve with our organic roasted chicken and non-GMO rice.  Then, delighted, I remembered that our spring CSA share had started and quickly found just the yummy veggies for the kids and ourselves to enjoy!  The kids enjoyed shelling their peas from the pods and my husband ate the radishes so fast you would think a rabbit was invited to dinner as well.  My oldest child loves fresh, raw broccolli, which never tastes fresh from the grocery store.  And for the first time, my middle child bit right into that broccolli like it was his favorite cookie!  Just goes to show that if you keep putting the right foods in front of them, at some point they will try and enjoy what is truly a gift from God, wholesome food.



This morning we are going for a bike ride along the ocean and I cannot wait...So as my grandmother's stovetop perculator makes my morning coffee, I sit and dream of all the adventure this day will bring...hopefully, some more love and appreciation of all things that truly matter.



E

No comments:

Post a Comment