Monday, June 24, 2013

Plantings

June is a fabulous month in New England.  Right before the heat and humidity of summer engulfs the region, a moment of absolute bliss happens.  Being a Jersey girl at heart, June is like an extended Jersey May.  I plant veggies in my garden too early in May and hope that the "global warming" effect doesn't effect them.

This year, I've tried to be make a conscious effort in selecting which veggie plants I put in my Earth Boxes and the garden.  Seeing as though the garden I share is in my neighbors yard, I embraced the plants that my BFFs wanted to plant and over planted what I wanted in my Earth Boxes.  These Boxes are a great way to have a slice of heaven, in your back yard, porch or deck.  I wanted to reach out on my new deck and be able to add greens and edible flowers to my salad quickly.  I planted nasturtiums plants from the local nursery on each end of the box.  Then, I filled the rest of the box with tomato plants.  The Earth Box peeps recommend 8 plants to a box this way and they have their reasons for it.  I over planted my first box and then needed to move a few tomato plants to a new box to accommodate their ever growing size.  In June, my plants look like an August tomato plant from the garden.  No joke.



My little m lady loves her baby tomatoes.  She hasn't noticed these yet, so thankfully they may have a chance.  She eats ground cherries (tomatoes) like they are candy and embraces nature just as I had hoped.

This spring I also had the chance to go to an annual pottery sale, where women were running for ceramic pots like they run for Bridal dresses in Boston.  It was nutty, but I did walk away with several large planters for my new deck.  Next year, I hope to fill them with veggies that are edible but for this year, being pressed for time, I filled them with my favorite summer hanging flower baskets from the local specialty grocery store and cut off the hanger part.  They instantly filled the planter with some color and bees, yay! bring back the bees, and completed my plantings on my deck this year....unless I find some ground cherry plants!



E

No comments:

Post a Comment